Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wicked Wednesday

Date:                                Wednesday, September 15th, 2010
Word of the Day:              ambrosial; exceptionally pleasing to taste or smell; worthy of the Gods, divine
Weight:                             224 pounds
Goal:                                 lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                 92 pounds
Waist Size:                        51 inches
Rowing Duration:             111 minutes, 50 seconds

Well its already the Ides of September, time certainly is flying by, I wish my 92 extra pounds were flying by/off, oh well.

As you can tell by my daily indicators, I did not do a second rowing session yesterday, and I doubt I shall do one today.  I just didn't feel like doing it yesterday, and today I'm feeling a little sluggish.   I hope this doesn't mean I'm on the road to failure.   But, yesterday and today I really gave it my all on Cruella; I had to as the elements outside really tested me, the wind was howling and strongly, it was quite cold, and I had to wear a sweater.  Believe me, I thought of how nice it would have been to just stay in the warmth and safety of my beautiful brass bed, but that would not help me in my quest to lose weight, would it?

Okay, things went awfully wrong yesterday, (it goes like that sometimes, doesn't it?,) I lost my original post, I didn't do a second rowing session, I forgot to tape the movie "Gone with the Wind," and I ate too much dinner.  However, today I know will go much better, I insist on it.

Last night I watched a true story of a remake of a Japanese movie that is now entitled "Hachi," which stars Richard Gere and Joan Allen.  This movie broke my heart, it sort of tells the story through the eyes of the dog, a novel approach indeed.  If, you are a dog lover, even if you aren't, I defy you not to cry at the end of this movie, I started crying in the last hour hour of it,  and my tears were still flowing twenty-five minutes after the movie had finished, I loved it.  I do not know when I will be strong enough to view it again, but I am recommending "Hachi," to all of you, first though, please allow me the opportunity to invest a few more dollars in the Kleenex stock market!!!!

"Hachi," however, is not the movie I want to review today.  On this day, I'm probably going to be all over the map, but last night I rewatched the movie "The Reader," and I tell you, I get something new out of this movie, every time I watch it, it is that good a film.

One of the things that I found remarkable about "The Reader," this time,  was the makeup of Kate Winslet.  Kate's character ages quite a bit in this movie,  and I was very impressed with how the makeup department made Kate's eyes look like that of an old lady.  You know how on some older people the centre of their eyes seem to get, well, white(ish), sort of in-a-fog,  well the makeup department replicated that look so well that I believe Kate actually aged.

Also, the performance of the young man that played "the kid," (one of the readers in The Reader,) is very understated,  and David Kross should be commended for his very subtle performance.  I expect that in the near future we will see alot more of David Kross, and not just as a German actor.   Actually, in order to obtain more data on David Kross,  I looked him up on Wikipedia and just read that Mr. Kross is now scheduled to be in Steven Spielberg's film WarHorse, so you see, I was right, again.

The story of the movie "The Reader," is told in three parts by the main character, Michael Berg.  Each part takes place in a different time period in the past.

Part One which is the genesis of the story takes place in West Germany and outlines for the viewers how Michael and Hanna Schmitz meet, and how their relationship develops.  In Part Two, it is seven years later and Michael is now attending law school and is part of a law group that is observing a war crimes trial.  During the trial,  Michael observes, to his surprise, that one of the defendants is that of Hanna Schmitz.  Part Three of the movie deals with Michael coming to terms with his feelings for Hanna Schmitz and the aftermath of the trial. 

The movie is of course arresting, bold and morally complex as it deals with the "Holocaust," which is always a sensitive subject as many survivors of the "Holocaust," are today now dying or are dead,  and asks the question, as second generation, what should have been done with the knowledge of the horrors of the extermination of the Jews?  Care to criticize or give an answer, I dare you, but first see the movie, "The Reader!"

The above is just a snapshot of the film, there are many layers to "The Reader,"  and to try and unfold all of them would be next to impossible for me as, just like in the movie "Sophie's Choice,"  I get quite emotional when I talk of this movie.  I will tell you that today, I am ordering the book of "The Reader," which by the way is written by a law professor and judge, Bernhard Schlink.

I have never read the book "The Reader," I do know that it was one of Oprah's selection for her book club, and I regret not reading it at that time, but better late than never.

Topics coming soon:

Sex (yes I know Mabel, its coming I tell you!)
Travel
Twins

No comments:

Post a Comment