Friday, September 3, 2010

Fabulous Friday

Date:                               Friday, September 3rd, 2010
Word of the Day:            bilocation; the state of being or the ability to be in two places at the same time
Weight:                           225 pounds
Goal:                               lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:               93 pounds
Waist Size:                      53.5 inches
Rowing Duration:           105 minutes, 46 seconds, 85 minutes, 31 seconds (second session)

I've had an idea, and it is just an idea, I thought that it might be a good thing that in my quest to get healthier, skinner, and feeling better, it could be positive to make it just not "all about me," and to ask some of you readers, that perhaps you could sponser me so that if I am successful at losing the 100 pounds in one year, maybe YOU will donate some money to a favourite charity, the one I'm thinking of is somewhat appropriate, the Canadian Heart Society, or whatever their legal name is, so that they continue researching heart disease.  This is not cut in stone, the diabetes charity is also on my list, so let me know what you think, this is just an option, you don't have to do it, nor should you stop reading my blog as this is the only time I will mention asking for your financial support in this area.  It will completely work on the honour system, so there is no need for me to take your name and keep a record, you decide if its worth it!


WOW!, the weather has certainly changed, it is rather cold now,  and I am thinking of the great quote "From the sublime to the ridiculous!"  This is just one of my favourite quotes,  and I always thought that it originated from Shakespeare,  but that just isn't so.  The saying is adapted from Tom Paine's influential "The Age of Reason," (1793).  The sublime and the ridiculous are often so nearly related that it is difficult to class them separately.  One step above, the sublime makes the ridiculous, and one step above the ridiculous makes the sublime again.  Napoleon may have helped to popularize the idea in its more succinct, modern form:  he is reported as saying in the year of the retreat from Moscow (1812,) "From the sublime to the ridiculous there is only one step!"

 I wanted to call my blog "From the sublime to the ridiculous," unfortunately the quote is widely used in the blog world,  and I was unable to use it for this  reason

I recently sent out, blindly, an email, essentially about being Canadian and being proud of it, I really need to look over my contact list more carefully,  as there are people out there that disagree with portions of that article.   I don't expect everyone to agree, but the right to free speech is one of this country's rights,  and I uphold it strongly just as you have the right to your opinion, we don't always have to agree on everything.  That's what makes us each totally unique and different.

Okay, Lily, this is just for you.  Last night on the movie class network, I watched a great Kate Winslet double bill, The Reader, and Revolutionary Road.  For anyone who still has not seen either of these movies, you are missing one of today's greatest actresses at work, she really is phenomenal in both films, and was awarded the Academy Award for Best Actress for The Reader, but I think the Academy was thanking her for both performances in both films.

I have to warn you that both The Reader and Revoluntionary Road are difficult subjects, these are dramas in the strict sense, so if you are looking for general "light affair," these are not the movies to watch.  One deals with an SS guard, who is put on trial, is she guilty or not guilty?, doesn't matter, the fact that she is ashamed that she is illiterate is too much for her to bear,  and that alone makes her feel enough shame for a lifetime, this film is exceptional in pointing out human foibles, so make sure you put The Reader on your must see list.  The second Kate Winslet film, Revolutionary Road is at times very difficult to watch; some of the scenes are so realistic,  and painful that it breaks my heart every time I see this movie.

Revolutionary Road is a reunion,  as it once again pairs Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, with the extra bonus of Kathy Bates, who was also in Titanic as Molly Brown.  Please pay close attention:  if you are hoping to see Leonardo DiCaprio pull off another portrayl like that of Jack Dawson, you are in for a big surprise, Frank Wheeler is no Jack Dawson.

Mr. DiCaprio is one peach of an actor, yes I know, I like to describe people as fruit, (I can't believe I just said and wrote that!,) however, Leonardo is excellent in this movie, at times, I thought his performance was a bit over the top, it is like he is trying to match Kate Winslet, who owns this movie.

The film was skillfully directed by the Academy Award winning director of American Beauty, Mr. Sam Mendes, who at the time of this movie, was married to Miss Winslet.  The amazing script was penned by Justin Haythe who must have known Michael Yates book backwards, he doesn't miss a thing.

The movie deals with the unraveling of a marriage and the protagonists'  desperate attempt to save it, very heavy stuff here, the climax of the film always brings chills to me,  and I find it extremely difficult to watch, it just makes me sick for our heroine who doesn't see any option.  Leonardo, Kathy Bates, Michael Shannon all give fantastic performances,  but it is Kate Winslet that you most remember, and deservedly so.

Last year, (2009) was a great year for seeing movies, there was also available for viewing, the Meryl Streep masterpiece, Doubt.  I am always so surprised to see Miss Streep pull off another unbelievable character,  and I think she is capable of doing anything that she darn well pleases.  Meryl Streep is a gift to all movie -goers,   and all, but maybe one of her movies,  are worth the price of admission.   Meanwhile Doubt also brings incredible acting from everybody in the movie, and the script is so crafted that even I had some Doubt at the end of the film, didn't you?

For those of you who don't know, Lily Rose, is a work colleague of mine and we once had an affair, it was both in our minds, but, the imaginary sex really was torrid,  and we like to reminisce about this frequently.  Lily and I worked together, we have the same mindset, and I believe that either one of us would do absolutely anything for the other.  I love Lily deeply and can't begin to describe to you how very much I miss seeing her every day.  It is true that Lily and I like our sex toys, and one day, I am going to have to tell you more about this, but, at this point, you are not quite ready, I'm not sure if I'm ready!!!!

Have a great Labour Day weekend, I'm sure it must be so nice to get three days off in a row, enjoy it, but please be safe in everything that you do.  Don't drink and drive, I can't believe that this still needs repeating, what is wrong with some people?  I guess everyone at times is capable of thinking that it won't, or can't happen to me.  Unfortunately, it does happen and I don't think people should just lose their license if they kill somebody while drunk driving,  I think they should be sent to prison for the criminal that they are, and thats how I honestly feel!  Just don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topics coming soon:

The night they raided Minsky's
Circumcision, yes Mabel, its coming, you want me to be thorough, don't you?
Pets

No comments:

Post a Comment