Tuesday, August 28, 2012

ROSE MARIE

                                                            JACK'S BACK and this time it's personal


DATE AND STATUS:                      Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 and I'm still atwitter.


Okay, okay, okay.  I'm back to Blogger.  I really did want to make a brand new start, and if you visited the blog hosting site of simplesite.com/-Jack-E-Taylor, yesterday, or today, you can see that I made a valiant effort in this endeavour.   (If you're curious as to my first return post, it will be available to you on the website of: Simplesite.com/Jack-E-Taylor for the next 29 days.)

Alas, Simplesite.com was limited in executing posts, at least for me.  Now, maybe I'm just not savy enough with computer blogs, but I found that with the simplesite host, I could only do one main post, and then just add pages to it.  And adding pages was no day at the beach because if it were, I would still be using Simplesite!  Honestly, that host would not allow me to create new posts, which is what I want my blog to do, consequently, Simplesite's loss is BLOGGER's gain.

Remember, you can find this blog by googling my old blog name of: thisthatandhim and be sure to tell your friends to give this blog a chance, as they say, popularity garners success!

One day, when I know what I'm doing, I plan to update the name of this blog to something more topical, or would you like it to stay the same, please advise.

For those of you who want a quick update of what I blogged yesterday, was that, yes I was away, but today I'm back, and this blog will now cater specifically to discussing movies.  The key point is that I will be reviewing and watching movies that I have never seen before, or have alas,forgotten them. 

Watching a new crop of films, will be a novel experience for me, and I hope will encourage audience participation by also watching the films, and by providing comments on what I reviewed.

In yesterday's post,  I did kind of strongly say that if you can take the time to read a posting, you can take a quick moment more to say something such as: saw the movie, loved it, I've always wanted to see that movie, your review will now make it a priority for me to see it!  Making such a comment should take you a whole thirty seconds!

Anyway, you get the general idea and how hard is that?  I'm asking you to provide comments because if the blog is to be successful, it will require both of our input.

I will also be hosting my very own academy award show, with films and actors nominated for what I think should win.  The award will aptly be named 'The Taylor.'    Doesn't that have a nice ring? Also, for your convenience, I'm giving a weekly timetable of the movies I will be viewing on a daily basis, that way, you too can share in watching the movies when I view them, how cool is that!

Okay, so today we discuss that babe of the Mounties, ROSE MARIE , (hence the title of today's blog,)  played by the wonderfully talented Jeanette MacDonald!  Here goes:

Well, I have to confess I was a little nervous for the first half-hour of the movie, to me, it seemed to drag, but then, I am always anxious for things to get rolling, and while the film is setting up the story, the phrase "Get on with it," frequently enters my mind! 

The basic story of Rose Marie is that a famous singer, quite a diva I have to say,has a brother that was wrongfully imprisoned who escapes from the prison, and while escaping, kills a Mountie, imagine that!

People, it is quite true that one bad deed often leads to another, please remember that, you too Savannah,  and I know you haven't done anything bad, but this is to encourage you to stay on the good side.

Back to the movie,  Rose Marie then sets off to the Canadian Rockies, although to me it looked alot like Lake Tahoe, to track down her brother, and help him out as Rose Marie has also heard that her brother got injured in the escape.  Okay, so the guy that is guiding Rose Marie in the Rockies runs off with her money and she has to get a job singing for tips. 

Now, while Rose Marie is singing, our good old Mountie, Sergeant Bruce, played by Nelson Eddie, befriends her, they fall in love, and then sing the famous  "Indian Love Song," which I absolutely adored, and have since ordered the soundtrack of Rose Marie so I can hear it again and again.

Eventually, Jeanette's and Nelson Eddie's love is severely crippled, for the simple fact that the Mountie always gets his man,  which also makes me think of all the possibilities of taking that story in a different direction, but then that's me!

Of course I have left out lots of little side-plots, and probably some important features of the movie, but I do this to encourage you to see this movie which was just wonderful.  I loved it!  It broke my heart, and I cried a few times!  Why the hell Jeanette MacDonald wasn't nominated for an Oscar is beyond me!  Gosh that girl could sing, and her superior operettic singing made me long to hear my dear friend Diane Sanci singing, now Diane could rival Miss Jeanette!

Be aware guys that there is a fair amount of operettic singing in the movie, but the surprising presence of Jimmy Stewart and David Niven (listed in the credits as David Nivens) make it all worthwhile, not to mention a scene that has a singing rivalry between Jeanette MacDonald and Gilda Gray which was just hilarious, and I do love to laugh, don't you!

                                                                    Movie TimeTable:

Wednesday:  "Rachel Getting Married."  Anne Hathaway managed to get a best actress Oscar nomination for this movie, but I'm really anxious to see Debra Winger, (who I adore,) in it.  I'm glad I have pay television so I can see the film for free, well, sort of.

Thursday:  "Casablanca."  Courtesy of the Turner Classic Movie (TCM)  channel, I am finally going to settle down and watch this movie.  All of it.  I have only seen bits of this movie before as it never really grabbed my interest, now I'm determined to see what all the fuss has been about!

Friday:  "Romance on the High Seas."  This is Doris Day's first movie which I have to confess, I'm kinda curious to see how she'll make out, regardless of Ms. Day, I always enjoy romance, whether it's on the high sea or low sea.  And yes, I'll be watching it on TCM (where else?,) where I enjoy many, many great movies.  So should you.

Saturday: "Gold Diggers of 1933."  Because gathering new tips on building one's wealth is always motivational,and beneficial,  but somehow I think there just may be another element here.  Otherwise, why is TCM running it and not some financial channel?

Sunday: "Night of the Iguana."  This film stars the gorgeous Ava Gardner and the always luminescent Deborah Kerr, do I really have to add anything else.  Yes, it's on TCM, don't make me nuts!

Monday: "Strangers on a Train."  I don't know if I want to see this movie because I enjoy mysteries or if it's because I like train travel, regardless, I'll be travelling on TCM, first class of course.

Tuesday:  "Elmer Gantry."  Both Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones received academy awards for their work here, and I want to see if they truly deserved them, you know how that Academy can be, don't you!

Films Coming Soon:  Exodus, The Sand Pebbles, An American in Paris, The Jack E. Taylor Story! What a lineup,WOW!

Footnote:  For those of you who contributed comments, some of which were quite funny, I thank you.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. well I think your familiarity with this blog site will make it easier for you just to concentrate on the blogging - and I enjoyed your review almost as much as the movie. I agree with you about the surprising degree of emotional engagement that the movie aroused in me. Bur I found the singing, although bearable, was more than I really wanted. Nonetheless having watched the movie now know what all the fuss waas about. And having seen and heard Jeanette MacDonald finally, I also know what all the fuss is regarding her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Miss Jeanette truly was special, a real diva, certainly nothing bathetic about her!

      Delete