Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tuesday Tuesday

Date:                                       Tuesday, October 26th, 2010
Word of the Day:                     glower (glow\er); to look or stare with sullen dislike, discontent or anger
Weight:                                    210 pounds
Goal:                                       lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                       78 pounds
Waist Size:                             46 inches
Rowing Duration:                   82 minutes, 33 seconds

Okay, I didn't row as well as I did yesterday, but I still did it, and I'm quite proud of myself for keeping this exercise up.   I committed myself to doing this exercise for at least one year,  and I have ten more months to go.   Zac and Winter are coming home later today, I can't wait, I've missed them both so much, in addition it means that I will start my swimming soon, probably later this week, I hope.


Did any of you happen to see Oprah yesterday, I was so moved by the episode yesterday.  The show featured a couple wherein they lost all three of their children, due to a truck slamming into the suv driven by the mother.   The children, two girls and a boy were all under five years of age and seemed adorable, I'm sure they went directly to Heaven.  Anyway, I was depressed from the show until later in the episode,  it was revealed that the mother of the late children gave birth, almost a year later from the death of her children, to triplets, which just happened to turn out to be, two girls and a boy!!!!!  Whenever I hear of stuff like this I wonder how people cannot believe in miracles because this truly was a miracle.

Toronto has a new mayor, I'm not sure how I feel about this, but in time I'll be sure to let you all know how I feel about Mr. Ford.


Yesterday, I spoke to my nephew Raphael, and he has told me that he wants a microscope.  Raphael has become interested in biology after they disected a frog at school and Raphael wants to prepare himself as he is going to be a doctor when he grows up, just like his Uncle Zac.


I told Zac of Raphael`s ambition to be a doctor, and you could hear him smiling over the phone, I mean it.  Raphael has company in his ambition to enter the medical field, as his sister Sally has also said that she would like to be a pediatrician, or a weather-person.  I love it!!!!

Since there isn't alot on my mind today, I thought I would write a little bit about Miss Carol Channing.


Carol Channing was  born January 31, 1921, her middle name is Elaine.  Carol Channing is an American singer and actress, and  the recipient of three Tony Awards, including one for lifetime achievement, a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination, can you believe that?


Carol Channing is best remembered for originating, on Broadway, the musical-comedy roles of matchmaking widow Dolly Gallagher Levi in "Hello, Dolly," and for playing the bombshell Lorelei Lee in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."

Carol Channing was born in Seattle, Washington, and was an only child, (something I always wondered what it would be like as I have a total of twelve siblings.)  Miss Channing's father, George, was believed to be born in Rhode Island, but had in fact been born in Augusta, Georgia, to a German-American father and an African-American mother, hmmm, rather interesting don't you think?

According to Channing's account, her mother reportedly didn't want Carol to be surprised "if she had a black baby."  Carol Channing kept this a secret to avoid any problems on Broadway and in Hollywood, ultimately revealing it only in her autobiography, "Just Lucky I Guess," published in 2002 when she was 81 years old.

Carol Channing's autobiography, contains a photograph of her mother, but does not have any photos of her father or son.

Carol Channing was introduced to the stage while working for her mother, and her  first job on stage in New York was in Marc Blitzstein's "No For an Answer" which was at the Mecca Temple (later New York's City Center), one of the few places in New York where I haven't been.

Channing moved to Broadway for "Let's Face It!," in which she was an understudy for Eve Arden. Decades later, Arden would play "Dolly" in a road company after Channing finally relinquished the role.  As an aside,  I thought Carol Channing would play the role of Dolly Levi right up to her death.  Fortunately, I got to see Carol in Hello Dolly  many years ago at the O'Keefe Centre, remember when it was still called that? 

Image via WikipediaFive years later from playing in "Lets Face It,"  Channing had a featured role in a revue, "Lend me an Ear."  While in this production, Carol was spotted by author Anita Loos and cast in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" as Lorelei Lee, the role that brought her to prominence.   You remember the big song, later made famous by another blonde, Marilyn Monroe, the song was called "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend."

Carol Channing has been described as simultaneously smart yet scattered,  a description I agree only half with, hehe.

Channing came to national prominence as the star of Jerry Herman's "Hello, Dolly!"  She never missed a performance during her run,. and her performance won her the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, in a year when her chief competition was Barbra Streisand for "Funny Girl."

Carol Channing got an oscar nomination for best supporting actress for the movie "Thoroughly Modern Millie," opposite Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore.

In 1966 Carol Channing won the Sarah Siddons Award, yes this is a real award, for her work in Chicago theatre.   During Channing's film career she also made some guest appearances on television sitcoms and talk shows, including "What's My Line?"


Channing was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Tony Award in 1995, and an honorary doctorate in Fine Arts by California State University, in 2004.   That same year, she received the Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Musical Theatre.  

American actress Carol Channing, ca. 2000Image via WikipediaCarol Channing and husband Harry are active in promoting arts education in California schools and reside in Modesto, California.

Topics coming soon:

Sex,
Anorexia
Titanic

No comments:

Post a Comment