Friday, October 8, 2010

Full of what on Friday

Date:                                       Friday, October 8th, 2010
Word of the Day:                    mana (MAH\nuh); a generalized supernatural force or power, which may be concentrated in objects or persons

Weight:                                  221 pounds
Goal:                                      lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                       89 pounds
Waist Size:                             48 inches
Rowing Duration:                   to be decided, eventually

How about that Brent Hayden, pictured below,  winning the 100 metre freestyle at the Commonwealth Games.  Brent not only won the gold medal, but he broke Michael Phelp's world record, how about that people, yea Canada! I bet the people in Mission, British Columbia are beaming from ear to ear.  At the Commonwealth games today/yesterday, our atheletes won nine (9), yup, NINE GOLD MEDALS, how about that?, Go Canada Go!
DELHI, INDIA - OCTOBER 07:  Brent Hayden of Ca...

 It is now six days in a row that the weather up here at the cottage on the lake has been perfect, not one cloud in the sky, now if it would only warm up, I guess you really can't have everything.

 Are many of you disappointed in me that I haven't rowed in a couple of days, the weather really has been severly cold, and the minute I get Cruella inside the cottage, I will get back to it, believe me, I'm not happy about missing my exercise.   I do know that Bonita is terribly disappointed in me, and has offered to come over to the cottage on the lake, (Bonita is on the neighbouring island,) to assist Zac and I in relocating Cruella, great, but will Bonita help us in relocating Cruella all the way to Toronto?

 It appears that the majority of you people prefer when my posts are longer (see that Lily,) as opposed to shorter, maybe that just applies for the people who aren't too busy at work, or maybe that applies to my die-hard fans,  I prefer to choose the latter to explain why people prefer my long-winded posts. wouldn't you? heheh.

Please drink responsibly, if you must drink this Thanksgiving weekend, and try to remember what the holiday is all about, I know I thank God every day for all of my blessings, and I truly am grateful to live in this great country of ours, I love Canada, and understand why there are so many people out there who are trying to get citizenship in this country.

Well, Winter, Zac and I are experiencing our last two weeks here at the cottage on the lake, at least for this year, and I'm feeling a little melancholy about that fact, however, I'm trying to focus on the fact that I'll soon be seeing my kids in Florida,  and that helps chase away the blues, there's a lesson there for all of you/us!!!!

Do you know that when I was disabled for three years, yes folks, I could not walk for three years as a result to side effects to taking so much prednisone, anyway, in that time period, I did not once, not once, did I feel sorry for myself.   I always remembered that there were many more people out there that were in far worse straits than I,  and I focused on what I did have, and not what I didn't have,  and that got me through all of the rough times.  I may have mentioned this to you before but it is Thanksgiving, and so I'm remembering to be thankful that I can walk without the aid of a walker, or even crutches, and I only have my cane handy to be on the safe side, well my doctor recommended that I keep it with me if I'm to be 100% honest with you.

Even though I did not row last night, I still got up shortly after one o'clock am.  I had taped the movie "Alien" that was on earlier in the night on the Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel, so I got up and watched it while I transferred it from the satellite onto dvd.

On this day in history, let us not forget the great Chicago fire  which burned from Sunday October 8 to early Tuesday October 10, 1871, killing hundreds and destroying about four square miles in Chicago, Illinois. Though the fire was one of the largest United States disasters of the 19th century, the rebuilding that began almost immediately spurred Chicago's development into one of the most populous and economically important American and international cities.

The fire started at about 9 p.m. on Sunday, October 8, in or around a small shed that bordered the alley behind 137 DeKoven Street. The traditional account of the origin of the fire is that it was started by a cow kicking over a lantern in the barn owned by Patrick and Catherine O'Leary. ( I love cows and I'm not talking about loving them on my plate!) Michael Ahern, the Chicago Republican reporter who created the cow story, admitted in 1893 that he had made it up because he thought it would make colorful copy.


The fire's spread was aided by the city's overuse of wood for building, the strong northwesterly winds, and a drought before the fire.  The city also made fatal errors by not reacting soon enough and citizens were apparently unconcerned when it began, sound familiar people in New Orleans? (I am, of course, referring to the initial reaction of people regarding Katrina.) The firefighters were also exhausted from fighting a fire that happened the day before which is indicative that Chicago was sorely lacking in appropriate staff.

I have a huge fear of fire, which is why I chose to write about this one fire that happened not so very long ago, please ensure that in your home:  your smoke alarms are working properly, change the batteries on these smoke alarms at least twice a year, have a rehearsal fire evacuation drill, so that if you ever need to escape a fire, you and your family will have at least practiced getting out of a house on fire, and if your clothes happen to catch fire, always remember to stop, drop and roll.   Please practice doing this procedure,  and ensure that your children learn it as well,  remember in case your clothes catch fire, always STOP, DROP AND ROLL!!!!

Have a Happy and SAFE Thanksgiving!

Topics coming soon:

Sex
Television
Blogging















No comments:

Post a Comment