Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tick tock Tuesday

Date:                                              Tuesday, October 12th, 2010
Word of the Day:                           nepenthe (ni|PEN\thee); a drug or drink, or the plant yielding it mentioned by ancient writers as having the power to bring forgetfulness of sorrow or trouble

Weight:                                          217 pounds
Goal:                                              lose 100 pounds in one year duration
The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language

Pounds to lose:                              85 pounds
Waist Size:                                    46.5 inches
Rowing Duration:                          tomorrow for sure

Most of the world is heading back to work today after a beautiful, long weekend, now it is back to reality, and up here at the cottage on the lake, it is back to being beautiful, bright and sunny after yesterday which was dull, dark, and dismal.  One common factor held over from yesterday is that it is freezing outside.

Remember, that I want to give a small grammar lesson each week, well I did intend to do it on Mondays, however, since I didn't do it yesterday, today is your lucky day, and today we are going to discuss the ever popular participle, as its been dangling about in my mind lately. 

A participle is an adjective and ends various ways.  A present participle always ends with ing as does the gerund, but remember that it is an adjective. A past participle ends with ed, n, or irregularly. Examples: played, broken, brought, sung, seeing, having seen, being seen, seen, having been seen. Participles modify nouns and pronouns and can precede or follow the word modified.  (Do not confuse participles that end in ing with gerunds. Participles are used as adjectives; gerunds are used as nouns.)

The grammar lesson for this week is now over, and I'm willing to bet, (if I were a betting man, which I'm not,) that you wish your grammar lessons in elementary (middle) schools were this short, there is also the added plus that you will not be tested on any of it.

Okay, did you eat too much turkey?  I suspect that when I celebrate Thanksgiving with my American family on November 25th, I, too, will indulge in eating too much turkey, especially if the gravy is good, and Janelle, Louise's mother, always makes great gravy.

Janelle is a real sweetie pie who is currently touring in Spain with her husband Chester, both of whom are retired from working full-time, although Janelle does teach piano part-time.  Janelle is currently teaching my nephew Raphael who she says is doing quite well.

If I lived in Florida on a full-time basis, I would get Janelle to teach me the piano.  Many years ago, I was teaching myself to learn the piano, and according to Zac, (who is qualified to teach piano) I wasn't bad, however, when my mother became ill, I gave it up to devote all my free time to care for her.

Grand piano by Louis Bas of Villeneuve-lès-Avi...


I always hoped that I would resume learning to play the piano, and with a qualified teacher to help me, but to date, I haven't yet found one who is willing to come to my house to give me instruction, but I will, so go and get your ear plugs!

Today was/is the birthday of Eleanor Roosevelt (1884) who is one of my heroines.  That woman was incredible and there are many biographies on Eleanor Roosevelt that are worth reading, but if you can get your hands on the dvd (s) (digital video device,)  there are two excellent made-for-television movies called "Eleanor and Franklin," and "Eleanor and Franklin:  The White House Years." that are worth your time to watch.  Both of the telefilms star the one and only "Miss Jane Alexander," with whom I worked in the move "A circle of children, part two."


Signature of Eleanor Roosevelt.
Sorry, I didn't mean to digress, back to Eleanor, uh, oh, Eleanor Roosevelt, niece of United States President, Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt, Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was First Lady of the United States from 1933 to 1945.  Eleanor Roosevelt supported the New Deal policies of her husband, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and assumed a role as an advocate for civil rights.

After her husband's death in 1945, Eleanor Roosevelt continued to be an internationally prominent author and speaker for the New Deal coalition.   Eleanor Roosevelt worked to enhance the status of working women, although she opposed the Equal Rights Amendment because Eleanor Rooseveltn believed it would adversely affect women, smart lady.


Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, head-and-shoulders por...
In the 1940s, Eleanor Roosevelt was one of the co-founders of Freedom House, and supported the formation of the United Nations.    Eleanor Roosevelt founded the United Nations (UN) Association of the United States in 1943 to advance support for the formation of the UN.   Eleanor Roosevelt was a delegate to the UN General Assembly from 1945 and 1952, a job for which she was appointed by President Harry S. Truman and confirmed by the United States Senate.   During her time at the United Nations, Eleanor Roosevelt chaired the committee that drafted and approved the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.   President Truman called Eleanor Roosevelt the "First Lady of the World" in tribute to her human rights achievements.

Active in politics for the rest of her life, Eleanor Roosevelt chaired the John F. Kennedy administration's ground-breaking committee which helped start second-wave feminism, the Presidential Commission on the Status of Women.

 Eleanor Roosevelt was one of the most admired persons of the 20th century, according to Gallup's (and mine) List of Widely Admired People.

And that good people is your history lesson for today!

Topics coming soon:


Sex (Marta, I thought I would give you the opportunity for tackling this one!,hehe)
Television
Blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment