Friday, October 22, 2010

Fussy Friday

Date:                                      Friday, October 22nd, 2010
Word of the Day:                    crepuscular (kri\PUS\kyuh\lur); of, pertaining to, or resembling twilight; dim
Weight:                                  212 pounds
Goal:                                      lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                       80 pounds
Waist Size:                             46 inches
Rowing Duration:                   94 minutes, 3 seconds

You made it to the end of the week again, I bet you are feeling really good/well.  As for me, I am feeling a little lonely, yes Winter and Zac have only been gone a day and I'm missing them both, at least the house is warm, Zac likes and tends to keep the house on the cool side, which I hate.

There is more news of Russell Williams, the authorities and the military have asked that people stop referring to him as Colonel, I think this is a good idea, he doesn't deserve the honour.
 I would like to make it clear that I am very proud to be Canadian, always have been, always will be, and that is all I am going to say on that subject, if you want to have an argument about this, try someone else's blog because I will not be addressing anymore comments regarding my esprit de corps, I just love those words.

I love discovering new words and meanings, which is why I have the word of the day as part of my daily indicators.  There isn't one book that I have read wherein I haven't had to use the dictionary at least one or two times, I guess its a good thing to improve on your vocabulary, well, it doesn't hurt.


I fell asleep rather early last night, I can remember talking to Zac on the telephone at 8:30 last night and that is the last thing I can remember, I did wake up around 2:30 am., and it was then that I turned off the television.


Gosh, there is a real chill in the air today. Winter, the season, is just around the corner, and of course, Christmas, trust me, start the shopping, prices will be going up, even as we type.


100_5787I thought this was interesting, and frightening, I was reading about unthinkable errors by doctors and surgeons , such as amputating the wrong leg or removing organs from the wrong patient, these catastrophic errors occur more frequently than previously believed.


Over a period of 6.5 years, doctors in Colorado alone operated on the wrong patient at least 25 times and on the wrong part of the body in another 107 patients, according to a study, which appears in the Archives of Surgery.

So-called wrong-patient and wrong-site procedures accounted for about 0.5 percent of all medical mistakes analyzed in the study.  Although these serious errors are rare overall, the numbers seen in the study are "considerably higher" than previous estimates, researchers say, isn`t that scary?

Medical mistakes are more common than you think, in fact, the surgical blunders reported in the study are probably "the tip of the iceberg," says the lead researcher, Dr. Philip Stahel, M.D., a surgeon at Denver Health Medical Center.  The actual number of patient and site mix-ups is likely much higher, says Stahel, describing those mistakes as "a catastrophe."

"Each hospital, whether they publicly admit it or not, (I think I can guess why they don't want to admit to it, would you?) and whether or not it's discoverable in a lawsuit, has an episode of wrong-site or wrong-patient surgery either every year or once every few years," says Makary, who wrote an editorial accompanying the study. "Almost every surgeon has seen one.", this is such a scary fact that I will be afraid to go to the hospital!!!


Now that I have had this blog going for awhile, I have been receiving questions on "blogging," so I thought I would type a little bit about this today.

I thought I would begin by defining what a blog is,  a "Blog" is an abbreviated version of "weblog," which is a term used to describe web sites that maintain an ongoing chronicle of information.  A blog features diary-type commentary and links to articles on other web sites, usually presented as a list of entries in reverse chronological order.   Blogs range from the personal to the political, and can focus on one narrow subject or a whole range of subjects, such as mine do, although other people's posts don't jump from subject to subject, I'm working on fixing this trait of mine.

Many blogs focus on a particular topic, such as web design, home staging, sports, or mobile technology.  Some are more eclectic,(I just love hearing this word out loud,)  presenting links to all types of other sites.  Other blogs are more like personal journals, such as mine, representing the author's daily life and thoughts, although I do edit out the really gross stuff.

Blogs tend to have a few things in common:   A main content area with articles listed chronologically, newest on top.  Often, the articles are organized into categories, an archive of older articles, away for people to leave comments about the articles, these comments are not always positive, as I found out the other day, a list of links to other related sites, sometimes called a "blogroll", which you cannot order in a restaurant, one or more "feeds" like RSS, Atom or RDF files, sounds like another language, doesn't it?

Some blogs may have additional features beyond the ones listed above.   Content is the raison d'être (I can't help typing French, I am half French you know,) for any web site.   For a personal blog, you might have a bunch of observations, or reviews.   FYI, I am still receiving feedback on my comments of Glenn Close.  Without some sort of updated content, such as my daily indicators,  there is little reason to visit a web site more than once,  although I hope you continue coming back to my posts, one day I might say something more interesting.  The content consists of articles (also sometimes called "posts" or "entries") that the author(s) writes. Some people feel that posting comments is one of the most exciting features of blogs, but be careful, if you post a comment, everyone out there, including your Aunt Sally, will get to read it.  I may even comment how Lily is doing on her diet, sorry about that folks, I just want to make sure that Lily is continuing to read my blog.

Well, it is time for me to get started on my weekend, plus I have laundry that needs doing.  Have a great weekend, people,why don't you try and read a book,  and above all, be nice to your kids, they will be grown-up one day, and they have long memories, remember that!!!!

Topics coming soon:

Sex
Carol Channing
Dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment