Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wholesome Wednesday

Date:                                                       Wednesday, February 16th, 2011
Word of the Day:                                     imbroglio (im\BROHL\yoh); a complicated and embarrassing state of things

Weight:                                                    two hundred and twenty-four (224) pounds
Goal:                                                        lose one hundred (100) pounds in  one (1) year duration
Pounds to lose:                                        ninety-two (92)
Waist Size:                                               forty-three (43) inches
Days until Royal Wedding:                     seventy-two (72)
Rowing Duration:                                    twenty-eight (28) minutes, twelve (12) seconds

I don't think I should need to apologize for the lateness of today's post, I had/have a good reason to why this post was not published before this time.  I started today's post a whole lot earlier, but I then got a mind block, which happens when you're a writer,  so I decided to use that time to give Winter her morning constitutional, and to hopefully get my creative juices back on tap.  (I had to walk Winter because Daniel, Zac's brother, left last night to go back to his home.)

Well, WHEW and OUCH, HUGE OUCH!!!!!, no sooner had I put one foot out of the garage when I went tumbling down to the ground which is very hard cement.  I wish somebody would have told me how slippery and icy it was outside, the only weather information I received this morning is that it was going to be a milder day, it is by the way, but that is beside the point. 

When I fell, I knocked my head on the ground as well as hurting my bum and back, and even now, two (2) hours later, I am still feeling great pain

My feet and legs are driving me crazy with all the fluid that is coming out of them, I am considering changing my name to some body of water, such as a lake, or an ocean, maybe I'll just call myself "Puddles," because that is what I create wherever I walk.


Zac had a bit of a relapse yesterday, but presently he is fine and looking one hundred (100) percent better, he may be able to come home tomorrow.  It really is a blessing that during Zac's battle with gangrene, I did not have any problems with my kidney stones, can you imagine the turmoil that would have happened if I had had medical problems at the same time as Zac having medical problems, I'm so lucky that this did not happen,  you have to look at the positive side of things people, as you know, I always try to do this.  Thank you, to all of you, by the way, who sent Zac notes and emails via me.

Have any of you been watching the game show "Jeopardy?"  Two former winners, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, who both won quite alot of money on the show, are appearing against an IBM computer named "Watson" and "Watson" is cleaning their clocks! The contest is being held over two (2) days so there is still time for you to see how "Watson" do check him/her out, its something a little different and may be indicative of things to come.

Did you hear that, as a married couple, Kate and Prince William's first trip will be to Canada, yea Canada, I just love this country!!!!!!  Other news, "Hickory," a Scottish Deerhound was best in show at the Westminster Dog show last night at Madison Square Gardens in New York City. 

Congratulations "Hickory," you are a lovely girl, but I have to confess, "Hickory" is no "Winter!" and the only reason our beloved "Winter" has not won best in show at any dog show is the fact that Zac and I  choose not to enter "Winter" in these competitions, because, undoubtedly,"Winter" would win, (pretty good alliteration, eh?)  them all, and we do not want "Winter" to be hounded (he,he) by paparazzi, dog-lovers, and would-be dog-nappers!, so there!, now you know, don't you?

Okay, I want to say upfront that what I'm about to report on is happening in the United States (U.S.,) but if it happens in the States, you can bet your bottom dollar that some form of it is happening in Canada as well.   Evidently, on Capital Hill, many members of the House sleep in their offices, and for some reason, this really bothers me.

 I think using a Government office for what resembles a room in a frat house denigrates the role of the representative.  Also, think about it, these representatives get elected partially because they are good citizens.  House representatives, who get paid one hundred and seventy-four thousand dollars a year,  do not pay rent or taxes for lodging in their office.  Do good citizens not pay taxes for their housing? Do you think this should be allowed?   Should the office be strictly limited for the business of work?, what do you think about this?  Or do you think I'm being much too much?


You have to wonder how Great Britain ever lost its empire with people around like Ann Timson, who is seventy-one (71) years old.  Hooray for the Grandmother, now nicknamed  "Super Granny" who fought some jewelry thieves while they were in the midst of breaking into a jewelry store in North Hampton, Britain!   Now because of Ann Timson's bravery, the thieves are where they belong, in JAIL, GO SUPER GRANNY GO, you are truly an inspiration.

Need a change of pace?, okay, are you ready for some more writing tips?   Fiction?   Nonfiction?   It doesn’t matter.   It’s all about getting started, which, for me, has always been the most difficult,  I even wrote a short story about how much I hate starting anything.   I wrote this story when I was in public school.   Anyway, back to the writing tips.

1.      The Elevator Pitch

Imagine you’re in an elevator, and a literary agent, a theatrical producer, or a movie star steps in.   After a quick greeting (we’re fantasizing here, which is what I do frequently, but that is a completely different subject), you mention that you’re writing a story and they ask you what it’s about (fantasizing, roll with it).   You have fifteen (15) seconds before they step off the elevator and (unless you take this advice) out of your life forever.  What do you say?  That’s an elevator pitch.  Without a pitch, you have no story. (Sometimes it’s the first sentence.) Nonfiction? Same.

2.      The First Word

Sit down and write the first word that comes into your head.   The page isn’t blank anymore, and you now have permission to continue.

3.      Procrastination


Work it into your writing schedule.   When you’re getting started each day, allow five (5,) ten (10,) or fifteen (15) minutes to do something else,  an administrative task, a spot of research, scanning your notes or what you wrote yesterday (but don’t dive in to revise it).  Then, when your time is up, get to work.

4.      Exposition

You’ve heard it before, but you can’t be reminded often enough:   Show, don’t tell.   Don’t describe how someone feels;  illustrate attitude or emotion with actions, not observations.  This rule applies to nonfiction as well as fiction.

5.      Purpose


“What’s my motivation?” is the cliched actor’s query, but it’s a good question.   Your characters are actors, too (but let’s not get distracted about film rights just yet).  What do they want?  What are they willing to do to get it?  When you answer the first question, it’s easier to produce the answer to the second one, also known as a story.


6.      Challenges

A story without obstacles is like,  well, like a dull story.   Readers identify with characters who get knocked down, dust themselves off, and get knocked down again.   Rinse and repeat.   Whether, on the last page, they end up on their feet or on a slab is up to you, but a story without significant challenges to the protagonist(s) is called a manuscript, not a book.

7.      Rejection, otherwise known as "The story of Efrem's life!"

Did you give up on dating after you were turned down the first time?   If you want your manuscript to “go out with” an editor or an agent, you must persevere.  Each “No” brings you one step closer to “Yes.”   And there will be a “Yes.”   Unless you quit before you hear it.

Well good people, it is time I have some breakfast and then head off to the hospital to visit Zac, it gets awfully boring and lonely when you're in the hospital, take care of yourselves and have a good day.


Topics coming soon:

Art
Politics
Cartoons





Scottish Deerhound, Fernhill's KendraImage via Wikipedia
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment