Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday Today

Date:                                                     Thursday, February 24th, 2011
Word of the Day:                                  hypnagogic(hyp\nuh\GO\ik); of, pertaining to, or occurring in the state of drowsiness preceding sleep

Weight:                                                  two hundred and twenty-four (224) pounds
Goal:                                                      lose one hundred (100) pounds in one (1) year duration
Pounds to lose:                                      ninety-two (92)
Waist Size:                                            forty-three (43) inches
Days until Royal Wedding:                   sixty-three (63) days and now Kate is counting hours as well
Rowing Duration:                                  twenty-nine (29) minutes, four (4) seconds


Okay, I could not get into rowing this morning, that happens, quite frequently to me.   I guess I should step on that scale more to keep myself motivated!

Okay, confession time, yet again.  In my post yesterday I said it was expected that the City of San Francisco would get snow, well I was wrong, or at least premature, San Francisco did not get snow yesterday, they MAY get it today.

Are any of you throwing a "knees-up" on April 29th of this year?  A "knees-up" is an English expression and means a party.  Speaking of parties, will you be throwing one (1) this Sunday to commemorate the Academy Awards, also known as (aka) The Oscars!

It has been reported that Prince William and Kate Middleton will reside in Anglesey, Wales for two (2) years, and the people of Anglesey couldn't be more pleased.

It is snowing yet again today and I am so glad that Zac and I do not have to shovel, that is why we pay a rather high amount of maintenance money.  By the way, a rather severe snowstorm is expected so ensure that you have extra supplies around, just in case!!!!!

In "In the News" add-on today, there is a blurb regarding cell Phones and whether or not they increase brain cell activity.   Despite years of research, there remains no conclusive proof that cell phones radiation causes cancer or other health problems in the brain.  At the same time, mobile phones have not been proven to be safe either.  New findings from a United States (U.S.) Government-funded study raises further questions about the safety of cell phone use, as they demonstrate that radiation from the devises has a measurable effect on brain activity.  Researchers found that glucose metabolism, an indicator or brain activity, was increased in brain regions nearest a cell-phone antenna.  Whether this is harmful has yet to be determined.

Currently, I am reading two (2) books, "The GodFather Legacy," and "GodFather," concurrently, and even though these two (2) books are about the movie, "The Godfather," with a related theme,  I frequently read two (2) books at the same time, with no connection whatsoever, and I wonder if any of you do so as well?

While in the vein of books, I want to mention that whenever I am reading something serious, such as Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes.   I always keep handy a book of lighter fare.  I do this to remind myself that not everything is grim, and I find that referencing another book while reading something of gravity will help me get through a heavy book!  One book that I always try to keep with me, (I take it whenever I travel,) is Sue Townsend's book, "The Adrian Mole Diaries!" 

I love "The Adrian Mole Diaries,"  and many years ago, there was a televised British Broadcast Corporation (BBC) series of it.   Do any of you know where I may be able to obtain the entire series?, as I would love to add this series to my collection.  Also, if you have not yet read "The Adrian Mole Diaries," do yourself a favour and go and purchase it, or borrow it from your local library.  Some people believe that "The Adrian Mole Diaries" will eventually be considered a classic and will be right up there with "The Catcher in The Rye!"   I do confess there are similarities between Adrian Mole and Holden Caulfield!

Lindsay Lohan could be watching the Oscars from a jail cell this weekend, any thoughts on this people?  Miss Lohan wants to take the stand to defend herself, I say, let her, I hope it gets televised!

Chris Medina, whose fiance was injured in a car accident, (I believe she is now permanently handicapped,)  was eliminated from "American Idol," last night, and Jennifer Lopez, who delivered the sad news, is saying that she doesn't want to do this anymore.  Whether or not Miss Lopez was referring to being a judge on "American Idol," or if she was simply saying that she doesn't want to do her own laundry is not certain,  as Miss Lopez was rather nebulous.

I sure hope that all of you have included those poor people that are in New Zealand, Christchurch, in particular, in your prayers.  An earthquake on Tuesday has devastated those people,  and they will need alot of support in order to recover from this unfortunate experience.

Kim Cattrall, of "Sex and the City" fame, uses Oil of Olay to retain "that look," so if you want "that look," go to Shoppers Drug Mart and buy a supply!   Do you think Miss Cattrall will make a good Cleopatra?, I mean, she's not Elizabeth Taylor.  Just for a little bit more information on the Sex and The City Sex Goddess, Kim Cattrall hails from Liverpool, England, just like the Beatles!!!!

It is my sister, Yvonne's, birthday tomorrow, so you know that today I will be getting my voice ready to sing the big number.  As an aside, I was just talking to Yvonne, and my older sister told me that she has received mail from Zac, Winter and I, and the mail does look like it could be a card, but Yvonne doesn't know for sure as she will not open up the mail until tomorrow.  I find this behaviour remarkable because the mail is not a present, it is just a card.   I never heard of people waiting until the appropriate day to open up a card, have you?   I miss Yvonne, it has been over two (2) years since I last saw her, that is far too long to go without seeing one's sibling, especially when the sibling only lives a forty-five (45) drive away!

The Space Shuttle Discovery will soon be making it's last voyage, today at four o'clock Eastern Standard Time (EST) will you watch this historic journey?  And speaking of journeys, Carrie Fisher is now a Jenny Craig representative, and I'm sure you, as well as I, wish Miss Fisher well on her journey to getting in better health.

As a former smoker, I'm not sure how I feel on the following article that I read in the Yahoo News.  New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has signed into law a ban on smoking in city parks, beaches, public plazas and boardwalks.  The ban goes into effect ninety (90) days after Tuesday's signing. That means that by this summer, those who break the law could face fines of fifty ($50) per violation, although the city has said it plans to rely on signs and social pressure instead of active enforcement.

Health Commissioner Thomas Farley says the law will protect people from dangerous secondhand smoke.   But some health experts question whether the smoke poses a serious danger in open, outdoor spaces.   Critics of the law say the city is trampling on civil liberties.   Bloomberg's administration banned smoking in restaurants, bars and other public indoor spaces in 2002.

Whilst I agree that non-smokers should be able to go to public places without encountering second-hand smoke, I also feel that smokers should also be able to visit these public places and be allowed to smoke in designated areas of these public places.  I mean, first you take away the right to smoke in public places, what will you take away next?  And don't kid yourself, there is always something that someone will find we can do without,  and they will make it their mission for it to become law!

Do any of you know where I could buy a man's pink cashmere, or angora, sweater.  I saw an old picture of Dick Clark wearing such a sweater and I just know that I would look dynamite wearing a similar jumper.  Any suggestions, or are any of you in the mood to knit me one(1), of course, I would pay you for the wool!

It is almost noon and I suspect that you've waited long enough for todays post, so I shall conclude it by saying that I hope you all have a great day.   Efrem, you really need to come up with something more original!


Topics coming soon:

Art
Politics
Cartoons














Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment