Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Trip Tuesday

Date:                                       Tuesday, December 14th, 2010
Word of the Day:                     prosopography(pros\uh\PUG\ruh\fee); a description of a person's appearance, career, personality, etc

Weight:                                    206 pounds
United Parcel Service logo (1937-1961)Goal:                                       lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                        74 pounds
Waist Size:                               43 inches
Rowing Duration:                    79 minutes. 41 seconds

I love the word of the day today, it has such cache, I am really going to try and incorporate it into my daily use, so learn it, because I don't want to have to keep giving you it's definition.

The rowing was a little easier on CC today (than yesterday,) but I'm still behind my regular indicator, I don't know why I seem to be lacking a little zump, but there it is, I'm sure I'll be my regular self in no time, I hope I'll be my regular self.

United Parcel Service (UPS) delivered a Barbie item yesterday, and we are so pleased.  Our niece Jessie is hoping that she'll get this particular item on Christmas Day, and it is a good thing that Zac saw to ordering it from Amazon, because now, not only have the items gone way up in price, you can't locate the item anywhere, no store in Gainesville, Florida seems to be carrying them anymore, like I've said many times before, we're lucky!


 It took a very sharp turn towards the cold yesterday and I for one was sorry that I did not bring my mink/leather coat down here to keep me warm.  I bought this coat/jacket from the Alan Cherry store over twenty (20) years ago and there is still lots of life in it, I find if you take care of something, and if it is/was of quality,  it will last you a lifetime, I've got the coat to prove it!


Zac and I managed to get in a little baby-sitting yesterday as both Louise and Biff had places that they had to go to, it turned out that I really was just taking care of the little one, Jessie, as Raphael was going with his father, Biff,  to a basketball practice and Sally was away at a swimming practice.  Later, that evening Zac had to go to the swim hall to pick up Sally, which he did, and shortly after they got back from the hall, Louise returned home from her meeting at her workplace.

Louise, she's so wonderful, had prepared the dinner and she made enough for all of us; Louise makes excellent chile which normally I hate, but I do appreciate Louise's cooking, it is rather amazing to see how fast Louise can prepare the evening dinner with such very little time.

Whilst I took care of Jessie last night, we spent the time playing with her Barbie Dolls, and with her, let me try to get this right, PetStuff playthings, they are these little ceramic animals of different shapes, sizes and colours, and Jessie is absolutely crazy about them.  After playing, I read Jessie, the Barbie Dolls, and all of the little PetStuff animals, a book on Barbie's cousin who was getting married.Barbie dolls are almost exclusively considered...



Zac frequently says that he doesn't know how I have the patience and the focus to play dolls with a six-year old, but the plain truth is that I really enjoy spending this one-on-one human time with Jessie, for me, it is such quality time and I know that Jessie and I are forming a deep and lasting bond.

On the weekend that just occured, Louise found a note that her youngest daughter Jessie had written about me, and Louise read me the note that said, in quite alot of detail, why she loves having me for an Uncle.  I was very much touched by her tenderness, candor and honesty.

Children don't miss a thing and when you have an above-average child, such as Jessie, (I'm sorry folks but I am not exaggerating, Jessie has had intelligence tests given to her and they indicate that she is quite above average intelligence, Jessie is in the genius realm, like me, Jessie will probably one day belong to MENSA) you have to give all that you can, you can't cheat her because Jessie will discover it and you better have armed yourself with plenty of energy because Jessie's energy seems to be endless, like all children.

Fortunately, Zac and I have a secret weapon to use with Jessie and that is our beloved dog, Winter.  Jessie loves Winter, probably as much as she is capable of loving anyone and Winter, God Bless her, loves Jessie equally and seems to have endless patience with regard to how Jessie is constantly hugging her, leading her around by her collar and being lectured on what is right and wrong.

A great plus in having all the children play with Winter is that Winter gets alot of exercise, and the children's energy never runs out, unlike ours, so Winter is in much better shape because of the children playing with her, in addition, Winter obviously feels the love because she wants to spend her time with the children as much as they want to spend it with her. 

There are now only eleven (11) days until Christmas Day which means there are only ten (10) days to complete your Christmas Shopping, please don't tell me that is still too soon for you to begin getting your presents, I can't take it. 

I am getting rather anxious about how fast Christmas Day is approaching and I am about ninety (90) percent completed, there is just one major gift for me to purchase and a whole bunch of stuffing stuffers, which are hard to get because Zac is always with me.  .Maybe, I can impose on my wonderful sister-in-law (she really is more like a sister and not like an-inlaw at all,) Louise, to help me out a little, again.

I have really good news for you again, it seems that Aspirin can cut the Cancer death rate, yes Aspirin's ability to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke has been well documented, but researchers now say a small daily dose of the drug can also cut the resk of death rates of more than 25,000 people who had participated in randomize controlled trials of aspirin that ended up to twenty (20) years earlier, they found that those who took the drug were twenty (20) percent less likely to have died of solid tumour cancers than those taking placebos. 

A new report from British scientists experts warn the study isn't strong enough to recommend healthy people start taking a pill that can cause bleeding and other problems.

In a new observational analysis published online Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet, Peter Rothwell of the University of Oxford and colleagues looked at eight studies that included more than 25,000 patients and cut the risk of death from certain cancers by 20 percent.

While some experts said the analysis adds to evidence of aspirin's potential to cut cancer risk, others said it falls short of changing advice to healthy people, and it failed to show the benefits apply equally to women, pay attention Lily, Marta and Louise, all of you who are women.
The trials mostly compared men who took a daily dose of at least 75 milligrams of aspirin for heart problems to people who took a placebo or another drug.  On average, the studies lasted at least four years. 
Researchers used national cancer registries to get information on participants after the studies ended,  (something I wish they had done, oh well,) though they weren't sure how many aspirin takers continued using it or how many people in the comparison groups may have started.

The researchers said that the projected risk after two decades of dying from cancers like lung and prostate would be twenty (20) percent lower in groups who had taken aspirin, and thirty-five (35)percent lower for gastrointestinal cancers like colon cancer.  These odds are figured from smaller numbers, there were 326 lung cancer deaths in all, for example. 

Only one-third of people in the analysis were women, not enough to calculate any estimates for breast cancer.  There appeared to be no benefit to taking more than seventy-five (75) milligrams daily,  roughly the amount in a European dose of baby aspirin and a bit less than the baby aspirin dose in the United States (U.S.,) why can't they ever include Canada, I guess we have our own researchers, but I sincerly hope Canadian researchers don't forget about our American friends.

The analysis left out a high-quality experiment that tested aspirin every other day in nearly 40,000 U.S. women.   No reduction in cancer risk was seen except for lung cancer deaths in that trial.  No funding was provided for the new Lancet analysis but several of the authors have been paid for work for companies that make aspirin and similar drugs.  Scientists said it would take some time to digest the study results and figure out which people should take aspirin.

Eric Jacobs, an American Cancer Society epidemiologist, called it a "major contribution" and said the study results, in addition to previous research, suggested aspirin's effects on the risk of dying from several cancers "appear likely."  Others said the study wasn't strong enough for doctors to start recommending aspirin.

One concern is that the studies were designed to look at cardiovascular risks, so the groups of people being compared may differ on things that affect cancer risk, such as family history of the disease. It was also questioned that drawing conclusions about people's cancer risk beyond the several years they were tracked.

Aspirin has long been recommended for some people with heart problems. But it can have serious side effects, like bleeding in the stomach and intestines, and poses risks in groups like the elderly who are prone to falls.  I, for one, am a big example of not being able to take aspirin as it causes my legs and arms to show alot of bruising which is probably indicative of "other bleeding."  It bothers me that I can't take Aspirin, and every now and then I do try and take it for a bit because I worry about "heart disease." 

"Heart Disease" is very common and genetic in my family, but I always have to STOP taking the Aspirin because of bruising, this last time the bruising took over one month to go away so I think, and hope, that I have finally learned that I simply can't take Aspirin and will have to count on my doctor, better eating and exercise to steer any "heart disease" away from me.

"Balancing the risks and benefits of aspirin is really important and probably something that needs to be done on an individual basis," said Ed Yong, Cancer Research United Kingdom (U.K.'s)  head of health evidence and information.  He was not linked to the study.  "If anyone is considering aspirin on a regular basis, they should talk to their doctor first," which I did, (I don't want you to think that I blindly started taking the Aspirin on my own, because I didn't.) Yong said.  He warned people should not think of aspirin as a guarantee against cancer, pay attention people, and other prevention strategies like not smoking and keeping a healthy body weight were essential.  That is one thing I have going for me, I don't smoke!

Well, I think I've given you lots to mentally "digest," so it is now time for me to walk my baby, otherwise known as (aka) Winter.  Have a great day!

Topics coming soon:

Art
Politics
Technology

United Parcel Service logo (2003-present)Image via Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment