Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sondheim Sunday

Date:                                       Sunday, Novembe 28th, 2010
Word of the Day:                    olio(OH\lee\oh); a mixture of heterogeneous elements; hodgepodge
Weight:                                   206 pounds
Goal:                                      lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                       74 pounds
Waist Size:                             41 inches
Rowing Duration:                   one hour, fifty-three (53) minutes,) fifty-seven (57) seconds

I have to be honest, the weather has changed from the hot, steamy days of approximately 85 to 90 degrees to a now much cooler, but balmy seventy-six degrees, life is so tough!


Yesterday, besides doing the usual grocery shopping, I was successful in contacting a real estate agent to show us some homes that are for sale in this area, I'm really looking forward to seeing the inside of some of the homes, the fliers certainly have perked our interest.  So, this afternoon Zac, Winter, and I could be looking at our future winter home.


In addition to contacting the real estate agent yesterday, Zac and I went to the four-thirty performance of the movie "Fair Game" which stars the very beautiful and talented "Miss Naomi Watts" and the always believable and incredibly talented "Mr. Sean Penn."

Both actors are excellent and the film is not only important to see as it outlines crimes perpetuated by the Government, but the movie is very entertaining and moves at a fast pace which is superbly directed by Doug Liman who previously directed the action flick "The Bourne Identity."  Well, for most of "Fair Game,"  the pace moves on, it slows down occasionally, but only occasionally.  Regardless of the pace, if you're looking for a film of quality, "Fair Game" could be just the one you should see. 

One more noteworthy thing about going to see the movie "Fair Game" is that whilst we were watching the movie, there were times that the sound from another movie,  in another auditorium,  were quite audible so when we were leaving the movie house, I stopped to have a word with the manager of the movie-house.  I wanted him to be aware  of the volume of sound emanating from one cinema to the next, and that he should consider adjusting the volume of the film in the cinema next to the one we were in.  The manager was very appreciative that I brought this to his attention, and susequently gave me two free passes to come back and enjoy another movie some other day, wasn't that nice of him!


In case you were wondering what was happening to our beloved Winter whilst we were at the movie, well Winter was being greatly entertained by my brother Biff and his family.   I'm told that Winter not only had alot of fun,  but she managed to eat the cat's food, and got to go on another walk thanks to Sally and Jessie.

I knew that Winter would make the most at being with my brother and his family,  which is why I thought of the idea to let them baby(dog)sit her in the first place!

Drumroll please....There are twenty-seven  (27) days until Christmas.  Yes, time to clean out that fireplace, you don't want Santa getting soot all over his newly cleaned and pressed outfit, and black soot really stands out on Santa's bright red and white suit just in case you were wondering.
5176 Guess Whooo's coming to town! (Number 1) ...

  I was just wondering, what do you tell your children about Santa Claus?  Do you tell them the old traditional story of a man working at his workshop,  with elves to help make the toys, and then on Christmas Eve, Santa Claus loads up the sleigh with all the presents, and then with his magical reindeer, including Rudolph at the head, delivers the presents to all of the children throughout the world?   Or do you tell your children that there once was a St. Nicholas who liked to help out those less fortunate but who is now gone and we (parents,) carry on with his tradition.  And do your children believe what you are telling them?

For the record, I believe in the magic of the spirit of good old St. Nick and when I am out buying gifts,  I buy some gifts  from "me" but then I also buy one in the memory of St. Nick, so if you ask me if I believe in St. Nick, I will answer honestly that I do.


Blasting heaters and freezing weather can really zap the moisture from your skin, and if you are anything like me, you want to take care of your skin.  I know each one of us has their own "skin care" techniques and today I'm going to share some of mine.

I stick to a skin care regimen that focuses on gentle cleansing and deep moisturizing, especially during cold weather.  Cleansing, exfoliating and moisturizing are the three keys to my glowing skin when temperatures drop.  People looking at me, in particular, my skin, would never know that I'm in the dreads of winter because my skin is always moisturized and retains excellent colour in all of its youthful appearance.  The fact that I'm overweight also gives my skin a youthful appearance because there are not alot of visible lines due to the extra weight.  But, I bet you want to know my beauty secrets and today is your lucky day as I am going to share them with you.

I always start with basics and the first one being is to drink water.   Keeping yourself internally moisturized and nourished is the number one way to prevent dry skin, especially in cold weather. So even though I hate drinking the stuff, (I would much rather have ice-tea,) I fill up on nature's magic and free liquid and I try to  stay away from excess caffeine and alcohol.   Okay, I stay away completely from alcohol, I don't drink and I don't think I should apologize for it, for the record, I don't always reach my goal but I do try and drink the recommended six to eight glasses a day,  this, I believe, is a good guideline.  What do I do next?

Well, two times a week I use a body scrub before showering.   Scrubbing my skin helps me remove dead skin cells and promote healthy skin.  I use a scrub that is paraben-free, but I hear that you can make your own by mixing 1/2 cup coarse sugar with one cup of coconut oil.   I, then, apply the scrub to my skin using gentle, circular motions.  I scrub my whole body and then rinse off with lukewarm water.  I don't believe in shocking my skin with ice-cold water, that was Joan Crawford's routine, not mine!

With regard to water temperature, please note that soapy hot water will deplete the natural oils from your skin.   Your shower or bath should be a lukewarm temperature.  Also, I keep my bathing times short, between 4-5 minutes, especially in the winter.  I stay away from bubble baths that contain chemicals and alcohols.   I know giving up this luxury is painful, I used to love taking a Halston Milk Bath (I wonder if they still sell that product, hmmm. I do so love that fragrance.)  but no longer.  Yes, I suffer a little for my beauty and I use a natural or organic bath soak instead.

I always use a good moisturizing cleanser, actually this is where I spend my bucks people.  Some people put their money in the stock market, others put it in the bank or other investment houses, some spend it, I put my money in my face.  Okay, I put it out there now, so what?  Look at me.  You would never know all of the money and energy I use in taking care of my skin.  By the way, I always wash with soap and only in areas where perspiration and dirt accumulates.  These areas are typically your hands, feet, underarms and groin area.  I stay away from deodorant soaps as these soaps are notorious for drying out skin, especially that "Irish Spring"

After my shower, I use a good moisturizer.  I really like the typically crème and balm moisturizers as they are designed to seal the top layer of the skin, locking in moisture.   Lotions are known as humectants, and are absorbed by skin.  Aloe vera and coconut and sesame oil are fantastic humectants to apply after bathing. I daily use a lotion and I use a balm or crème at night, right now I'm in love with practically all of the VICHY products.

I put moisturizer on my hands and slip on a pair of gloves before going outside.  Well, you have to protect your skin you know.  At night, I apply moisturizer to my feet and wear socks to bed.  Because of this routine, my feet feel dewy and moisturized in the morning.  I'm such a lucky, happy man.

Okay, they say you can't forget your lips, and quite naturally, you guessed it, I moisturize mine.  The skin on your lips retain less moisture than other parts of the body so I use a good lip balm to lock in moisture.  I brush away dead skin from my lips with a toothbrush once a week.  I then apply a good moisturizing balm.  Vaseline is a time-tested favorite of mine and you have to agree, the price of it is just right!

Finally, I take extra care of your face, after all, it is what people see when they first approach me.  I make a habit of not over cleansing  my face because it can dry out skin, so I only cleanse once-a-day.  I know many of you won't believe that I only do this once a week, but I too have standards.  I do use a gentle cream cleanser at night to remove dirt and I never go to bed without doing this.  I, then, apply moisturizer after cleansing.

In the morning, I skip washing my face with soap and I rinse my face with lukewarm water instead.  This prevents the stripping of excess oils from my skin, especially in the winter.  Throughout the day, I will spritz my face with facial water, I prefer to use Evian, I won't drink it,  but Evian is good for my face.  When choosing a moisturizer, I try to remember that crèmes are heavier, and might be best for use at night.  A facial lotion, one with sunscreen is best for day use, remember skin cancer can be very serious and in fact can lead to death!

It is easy to get sucked into buying a plethora of skin-care products and I do, I love the way my skin reacts and looks when I apply my beauty products. 

I know some of you are thinking that you didn't know I was so vain about how I look, I don't think I'm anymore superficial then the next guy, I just thought I would honestly tell you how I take care of my skin.  If you know of any product or routine that could be beneficial for my skin, please let me in on it, I want the best for my skin.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, I know I shall.

Topics coming soon:

Art
Politics
Technology
.

No comments:

Post a Comment