Monday, November 22, 2010

Meek Monday

Date:                                         Monday, November 22nd, 2010
Word of the Day:                      archaic(ahr\KEY\ik); marked by the characteristics of an earlier period; antiquated

Weight:                                     206 pounds
Goal:                                         lose 100 pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                         74 pounds
Waist Size:                                44 inches
Rowing Duration:                     117 minutes, forty-three (43) seconds

Okay, I didn't do two hours on CC, but I was just shy of that mark by three minutes, so I feel that I am accomplishing the two-hour mark quite regularly now.

Here we go:  there are only thirty-five (35) day untils ho-ho-ho!  Yes, Christmas is fast approaching and retailers all over America are getting excited and ready for this upcoming Black FridayI know I will be one of the millions that goes out to find that special bargain this Friday, so don't be too disappointed that on this Friday my post will be brief!

Gosh, every news channel these days is always reporting the latest moves by Prince William and Kate Middleton, I know that their upcoming wedding is big news, but I'm sure there must be others news that is noteworthy of the press time.  (I'm also sick of hearing about that Sarah Palin every three minutes; what is wrong with America?, can't people plainly see that Sarah Palin is an idiot!!!)

 Yesterday was so beautiful that Zac, Winter and I took a drive around the city of Gainesville, going to open houses in the afternoon.  We looked at four houses that were in our price range and there was only one house out of the four that was okay, for us. 

The house that we liked had a courtyard which had a small swimming pool, the pool really wasn't very big, it was probably a bathtub incognito, just average-size bedrooms, a really good kitchen with plenty of room to eat-in and really interesting bathrooms!


The real estate agents at each of the four houses were anxious for us to sign with them, but we told a small white lie and said that we already had an agent representing us, which is sort of the truth.  Let me explain.

During the summer, I was looking at homes in Gainesville, Florida on the website.  Anyway, an agent with one of the real estate websites that I checked out started sending me ads for homes, the real estate name of the lady is Corinne.  Since Corinne showed such initiative, we are going to let her try to find us a home, which won't be easy because we want everything, and we want it for nothing!

I also talked to my dear friend Lily yesterday afternoon and this really picked me up, especially when Lily put her beautiful daughter Goldie on the phone.  Lily has sent me pictures of Goldie and this girl really is stunning, I hope Goldie is choosy when she picks out a mate, I know her mother is somewhat picky.

Remember how I told you that I was going to be more thoughtful about the food I put in my mouth, well, I'm off to a good start, I did not snack at all yesterday.  It's true, I only ate my three meals yesterday and nothing in between the meals.  Eating in between meals has always been my downfall.  I'm very proud of myself for not snacking because Zac constantly snacks, and when Zac snacks, we're not talking about eating one apple, no, were talking about digesting bowls of ice cream, handfuls of brownies and tons of cookies.  I think Zac's diet is atrocious but as Zac likes to point out, he is not overweight, but I still feel that as a doctor Zac should set a better example, don't you think so?

Did you hear?  In Aruba they have found a human jawbone and they are now conducting tests to see if the remains belong to that of Natalee Holloway, wouldn't it be nice for Beth Twitty to finally get some closure, I hope that that Joran Van Der Sloot never gets out of that South American jail/prison.
LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 16:  Prince William...


For those that like the following, this is the sort of thing they like:  tonight starts the finale of "Dancing with the Stars!" and I, for one, am hoping that Bristol Palin does not get the prize, if she does, many people will think it is just the beginning of the rise of Sarah Palin, I don't even like to imagine the thought of Ms. Palin as the next President of the United States, what a frightening thought that is, are you with me?

Did you know that fhe most common punctuation marks in English are probably the period and the comma.   However, good writing (such as mine/NOT)  in English will usually make use of the colon and the semi-colon.   Although these look similar and have similar names, their functions are completely different.   So what is the use of the colon you ask, well, a colon consists of two dots, one above the other and is used to introduce a list of items.  For example:  You will need to bring three things to the party: some food, something to drink, and a small gift for the hostess.

You can also use a colon to introduce an explanation or a definition of something. For instance:  I'll tell you what I'm going to do: I'm going to quit! Here's another example:  "Elephant: a large grey mammal found in Africa and India."  Okay, got it?, we move on.

The dreaded (just joking, I use that word because I love it,) semi-colon consists of a comma with a dot above it, how do you love that for a description, sorry folks but its hard to spruce up a semi-colon!  The semi-colon is often used to join together two independent clauses,  in other words, it joins two clauses that could be sentences.   For example:  Mary drives a Mercedes; Joanne drives a Chevrolet.

These two clauses could be separate sentences: "Mary drives a Mercedes. Joanne drives a Chevrolet." However, when we use a semi-colon, we are usually suggesting that there is a relationship between the sentences, but we are not making that relationship clear.   Usually, you can tell from the context what the relationship is.  In the example that I gave, the relationship is probably CONTRAST; we could also use "but" to make this clear: "Mary drives a Mercedes, but Joanne drives a Chevrolet."

When we use a semi-colon, it is often because we want to make the reader think about the relationship for herself/himself.  This is useful in many situations, such as when writing cautiously, ironically, or humorously.   One more very common use of the semi-colon is to join two clauses using a transition such as however, therefore, on the other hand, etc.  Here are some examples: 

In addition she works all day in a store; in addition, she takes classes in the evenings,
however John is Canadian; however, he lives in the United States
Otherwise you should get your brakes fixed; otherwise, you might have an accident.
Therefore hundreds of people cross the border from the US to Canada every day; therefore, it is not possible to search all of them carefully

Okay, above I have tried to give you examples that are varied and meaningful, if you are still unclear as to the proper usage of the colon,  and the sem-colon, please get in touch personally with me.

I just got back from my morning constitutional (walk) with Zac and Winter.  It really is a glorious morning for a walk, and today's walk was really interesting as we happened to come across a flock of wild turkeys.  You should have seen them.  We were just walking down the street and all of a sudden, Winter's ears perked up and she crouched down into attacking position so Zac and I took notice of all around us and there they were, I would say somewhere between fifteen and twenty turkeys.  When the turkeys noticed us, they started to run quickly in the opposite direction, no doubt they are aware of the upcoming holiday of Thanksgiving, I would run too if there was the possibility of someone cutting off my head!!!!

Okay, folks, it is time for my breakfast and probably time for you to get to work.  Have a great day, if you get a chance, and the inclination, send me an email, I would love to hear from you.

Topics coming soon:
 A Danish Christmas tree illuminated with burni...Image via Wikipedia
Art
Politics
Technology

No comments:

Post a Comment