Saturday, January 22, 2011

Shhhh! Sunday!

Date:                                                     Sunday, January 23rd, 2011
Word of the Day:                                   lollop (LOL\uhp); to move forward with a bounding, drooping motion; to hang loosely; droop; dangle

Weight:                                                  two hundred and six (206) pounds
Goal:                                                      lose one hundred (100) pounds in one year duration
Pounds to lose:                                       seventy-four (74) pounds
Waist Size:                                             forty-one (41) inches
Days until Royal Wedding:                      ninety-six (96)
Rowing Duration:                                    still unable to do because of swollen feet

Here it is Sunday again, do you consider Sunday the first day of the week, or do you consider it the last?  For the record, I have always considered Sunday the first day of the week, Monday is the first day of the working/school week, so there!!!!!!

Sunday is also the day that I have to take Actonel, which is a pill that I need to help improve my bones which are quite brittle.  As some of you know, I have osteoporosis, a side effect, and now condition of mine from taking the steroids to control my asthma.

I take Actonel just once a week, and because I don't take it on a daily basis, I frequently forget to take it.  This is why today I'm writing it in this post, and my reasons are twofold:   First, as a reminder to myself, and, second,  if any of you who are out there happen to think of me on a Saturday night, or Sunday morning, please remind me to take the Actonel, it will be greatly appreciated.

I love today's word of the day and can't wait to use it,  all of us really should try to build up our vocabulary, if only for the simple reason that when we're reading, we may not have to put down our reading material to go find a meaning of a word, just think of it that way, why don't you?

Hmmmm. the subject of George Clooney seems to have struck a chord with many of you out there, I'm not surprised, he really does seem to resemble me!


It is so ****ing cold, I mean I know this is the season of Winter, but lets not get carried away with it, we are only Canada not Antarctica, or the Arctic, why must everything these days be so extreme!!!!!!


If any of you are interested in the theatre, you may want to download a site that keeps you aware of London Theatre News.  I don't remember how I first came across the site, but I now receive emails on a regular basis from a Darren Daglish who keeps one aware of the London (England) Theatre Scene. 

Anyway, whilst reading an email from Darrin today, I came across a blurb that informed me that British Actress Susannah York died on January 15th, of this year.  I was very grateful to read this news item because I had not heard of it from any other media source, and I really enjoyed Susannah York's work and appreciated her acting ability.

If you too are interested n what is happening across the pond, please download Darren Daglish's column of the London Theatre News, the address is, (I believe): dalglish@londontheatre.co.uk, it really keeps you abreast of everything that is happening in the theatre in London and think you will enjoy perusing it!

I spent a great deal of the day yesterday on the phone with Dell,  and did everything that Matt (help technician/support at Dell) asked me to do.   I removed web sites, I put things on other drives, and discs to save etc., and after being on the phone with Dell for at least four (4) hours,  the computer still was not working properly.

Matt informed me at this point that he could no longer help me,  he seemed really unsure and perplexed with just what was/is wrong with The Camden Plus,  and he was going to have a more experienced technician help me but this would have to wait until Monday.  This is something that really irks me about Dell.


Why doesn't Dell have more experienced technicians available on the weekend?  Does Dell think that only small problems happen to people's computers on the weekend.  I mean, come on, four (4) hours and The Camden Plus is still not working the way it should, you talk about frustration!!!!

I don't have alot of creative juices going today so I thought I would, once again, give you some writing tips, specifically about where to put the possessive, and I too sometimes get mixed up on the rules.

You see them all the time during rural drives and suburban errands alike, those olde-fashioned wooden shingles mounted on mailboxes or dangling from porches or fastened to walls: “The Smith’s” and the like, stark reminders that possessives still throw many people for a loop.


Rules about possessives can be complicated, but this error is straightforward enough:  Take away the apostrophe and the final s, and what do you have? “The Smith.”  That’s obviously not right (unless the resident ostentatiously refers to himself as “The Smith” or employs hammer, tongs, and anvil to practice her livelihood).

Who lives at this house?  The Munsters.  Whose residence is it, then? “The Munsters’,” or, to use the more formal variant, “The Munsters’s,” or perhaps  “The Munsters’ house” (or “The Munsters’s house”).

(The additional s is pervasive in books and many other media,  while its absence is typical in journalism, and in the old days of mechanical typesetting, that meant one less piece of type to position, and other more casual or ephemeral kinds of publications.   In the organic medium of wood, the simpler style can easily be forgiven.)


And what if the surname already ends with an s?  What should the Addams family’s shingle read?  Again, ask yourself who lives there.  Answer: the Addams.  The sign should therefore read “The Addamses,” or “The Addamses’ house” or “The Addamses’s house.”

This construction is admittedly cumbersome, and there is a way to avoid it without giving a passing copy editor a case of the shingles:  Label your abode “The Addams house” or inform visitors and passersby that “The Addams family lives here.”  This wording is not as folksy, but it still manages a homey touch without adding sibilant syllables or pesky apostrophes.

Admittedly, this ubiquitous error is as much the fault of the sign maker as it is that of the person who commissions the sign, but because it’s difficult to make amends by amending an error engraved in wood, you might want to remember, when you approach the artist’s workbench, the rule for the proper position for the possessive apostrophe.

Today, I wish to congratulate Cynthia Phaneuf for winning the Canadian Women's program, it has been since 2004 that Cynthia last was Canadian Champion and I'm very happy for her.

Well that is about it for me today.  Stay healthy and walk carefully, there is alot of black ice out there.

Topics coming soon:

Art
Politics
Cartoons


No comments:

Post a Comment