Monday, September 10, 2012

ZORBA THE GREEK

                                 JACK'S BACK and this time it's personal

DATE AND STATUS:  Monday, September 10th, 2012 and I'm re-injured!

Quote of today comes from  E.L. Doctorow:  "There is no longer any such thing as fiction, or nonfiction; there's only narrative."

What's going on in Jack's world?, and yours:

Hillary Clinton, (I like her, I really like her!,) still has not completely ruled out running for President in 2016. 

There were many people, including this one, who were disappointed when Hillary dropped out of the race in 2008 to join the team of President Obama, but looking ahead to 2016, there is still quite a plethora of people encouraging Hillary to run.  

 I really hope Hillary does run for President, and if so, I hope this time, her husband, Bill Clinton, doesn't interfere in her campaign so much!

It seems that the OJ Simpson Trial had some tampering.  (I knew it.)  Evidently, Christopher Darden, co-attorney for the Prosecution team, claims that Johnny Cochrane altered the lining of the glove so that it couldn't fit when the defendant put it on. 

Remember, the phrase "if it don't fit, you must acquit."  Well NOW we know why it didn't fit, and if there is any of you who still have doubt about the guilt of OJ Simpson, please call me.   I happen to have some swamp land in Florida for you to purchase!

Potential frightening news looms over Prince Harry whose gone back to Afghanistan, to fight the Taliban, and is in grave danger as El Qaeda has threatened to kidnap Prince Harry, and kill him.  I'm very surprised and astonished that the Brits have let Harry go back.

I had a perfectly wonderful day yesterday.  As previously posted,  Mac took out my stitches, the weather was co-operating, and we even had a visit in the afternoon from a good friend.  And then it all slowly went into the toilet.

I was sitting on the couch watching the movie "Back to the Future," with Michael J. Fox, and I looked down at my left knee and saw that my gash, that had had over fifty stitches put in it, had RE-OPENED!, and it looked like it did the day of the accident, I just couldn't believe it. 

Subsequently, Mac said there was no point to going back to the hospital as he said they would not put new stitches in it.  Dr. George continued and said that I was just going to have to let the injury heal itself.  Great, how long is this going to take????

Oh well, focus on the positive Jack, always focus on what's good. 

It looks like another glorious day, weather-wise, so far, there are no clouds in the sky, and one can just look at that fantastic blue horizon forever.

The 2012 Para Olympic games closed last night.  The Para Olympics were a huge hit.  I really get inspired from these athletes because they show the world "what they can do," instead of "what they can't do," and some of us who are not disabled could take a page out of their books!  (AM I pontificating again?)

Today marks the debut of talk shows for:  Katie Couric, Ricki Lake and Jeff Probst.

Can't say that Mr. Probst's talk show has any interest for me, I never liked "Survivor."  I've always liked Katie Couric, and she is a warm,friendly and competent journalist, so I will give her talk show a chance, as will I also tune into Ricki Lake's NEW talk show.

I loved Ricki's former talk show, so it will be interesting to see if she still has the chutzpah and the magic that she had in 1993 when her first talk show premiered.   I really believe that sometimes it's better to keep your original, positive memory of an experience, then going back to try it again, it isn't always a good idea, but, as they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained," so you have to admire her moxie.

The Toronto International Film Festival(TIFF) continues, and I do wish I was there to participate in it.  I miss TIFF every year because I'm here at the lake and it is a drawback for me.  One of these years, I'm going to have to miss seven wonderful days at the lake to take in the TIFF, we'll see.

Just because I'm not in Toronto at the festival, doesn't mean I'm not staying in the loop of things. 

It looks like the film, "The Master" (even with the negative publicity of Joaquim Phoenix's strange antics)  is a huge hit, and because of the huge, huge buzz,  I'm actually going to see it at the cinema.

Phillip Thomas Anderson's "The Master" revolves around a charismatic intellectual, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who launches a religious organization following World War II.  A drifter, Joaquim Phoenix becomes his right-hand man, but as the faith begins to gain a fervent following, the drifter finds himself questioning the belief system and his mentor.  (Sounds strangely similar to Ron Hubbard and the creation of Scientology.)

While I have enjoyed Mr. Anderson's previous films of "Magnolia," and "Boogie Nights," as there are always great performances in them, I am on guard for some of the bizarre events, that the director and writer enjoys putting in his films, remember the frogs falling in "Magnolia."

 I'm not sure if I'll go and see "Cloud Atlas" which has an amazing cast of Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, and Jim Broadbent, all of whom are academy award winners.  The film got a very bad review, but, I'll  likely see it as that is a very impressive cast, and I like to decide whether or not I enjoy a movie for myself.

However, the film I want to see most of all is Ben Afflecks "Argo."   "Argo" premiered to rave reviews at the Telluride Film Festival last month, and its favourable reception at TIFF means that the film will likely land at least a few Oscar nominations in 2013.

  "Argo" revolves around six American diplomats who were smuggled out of Iran during the 1980 hostage crisis by disguising them as a Canadian film crew.

I remember this event so well.  When it happened, I was vacationing in Hawaii, and whenever anyone there found out that I was Canadian, they thanked me profusely, and a few even offered to buy me a drink.  We, Canadians, don't often get appreciation from our neighbours to the south.

Well, after talking about some movies that I haven't seen, it's time to talk about a film I did see, "ZORBA THE GREEK!"

The film revolves around British writer Basil (Alan Bates) who is on his way towards Crete, and in particular, to the beach house which his parents owned until their deaths so that he can re-launch an abandoned mine and gather his thoughts once more.

On the way, Basil meets Alexis Zorba ( Anthony Quinn) an eccentric if not crazy multi-labourer, and womanizer, who practically sells himself to Basil and pleads to go with him.   The young Anglo-Greek  (a little more than a smirking straight-man,) is slightly wary, easily pushed around, but reluctantly agrees, and they go off to Crete.

 Zorba introduces Basil to the highs and lows, and to the lust and the greed as well as the extremes of the Greek culture, as well as meeting a courtesan in Madame Hortense (Lila Kedrova, a wrinkled and tacky relic of a once successful coquette) whom Zorba flirts around with, and a widow (Irene Papas) whom Basil would later have an ill-fated fling.   The experience would change Basil forever at first for the worse, but ultimately for the better. 

IF ever the abundance of life force in man has been poured forth on the screen, and, goodness knows, many efforts to do so have been made over the years, it is done in the brilliant performance given by Anthony Quinn.  fellow who takes on Zorba (or is taken on by him) to help in restoring an old lignite mine, inherited from his father, on the island of Crete.
 

                                    UPCOMING MOVIES FOR REVIEW:

"Elmer Gantry." Both Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones received academy award nominations for their work here. I want to see if they deserved them, you know how the Academy can be.

"Blow Dry." For no other reason that when I saw the title of this movie in the television guide, it intrigued me.

"Thief." This film stars James Caan and is reported to be one of Mr. Caan's personal favourites. Well, now it is time for us to decide if we want this movie to make our favourites list.

"The Maltese Falcon."  I've avoided seeing Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre in this story of murder and intrigue for far too long, (I'm supposed to be a film buff!)  Please note, that the time for me to see this movie has been changed to November to coincide with my salute to Mr. Humphrey Bogart.


"The Dark Knight."  I thought I should view a relatively-recent film. As a child of ten, I loved "Batman," and this film  offers, Heath Ledger, who won an academy award, posthumously, as the joker.  I'm really looking forward to this one!

"Big Night."  I have been frequently asked if I've seen this film which quite a lot of people seem to enjoy, I think it's time I'm able to tell people YES, I'VE SEEN IT!!!!!

"Gentlemen Prefer Blondes."  I am a huge Marilyn Monroe fan, and years ago I did see this film, I must have, but the fact that I can't remember it qualifies it to be seen by this viewer and sometimes critic.

FILMS COMING SOON:  Exodus, The Sand Pebbles, Giant, Monkey Business, The Slut At Four' O'clock, can't wait to see all of them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment