Sunday, September 2, 2012

ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS


                                                          JACK'S BACK and this time it's personal!

DATE AND STATUS:                Sunday, September 2, 2012 and I'm exhausted!

Gosh, I'm just exhausted.  Running around, as best I can, trying to stay on top of what is recording on my three personal video records (PVRs,) planning what to record off the Turner Classic Movie (TCM,) and home box channels, remembering to turn timers on, turn that one off, well, let's just say that it is a good thing that I'm organized.

In between the plethora of movies I watch, I have to eat, sleep, bathe, do chores, answer email, go to parties, and then write this blog, which is a little discouraging, as I don't know if I'm writing in vain, are you really out there?????  I really good use a shot of encouragement!

So, I've established that I'm busy, as we all are, (don't you think I know that?) which is why I know you'll forgive me for jumping right in and writing about "Romance on the High Seas," which I absolutely loved!

"Romance on the High Seas" is a film from a time when going to the movies was fun.  The musical film is a fun-loving romp that stars Jack Carson (who crops up in some rather excellent movies, such as, "A Star is Born," "Mildred Pierce", and more,)  Don DeFore, (remember him, he was Hazel's boss on the hit television show of the sixties,) Janis Paige (my first encounter with her,) and in her film debut, Miss Doris Day, with whom we all know and love.

What can I say?  "The romance on the high seas" take place when a bride, Mrs. Elvira Kent, (Miss Paige,) suspects her husband, Michael (Mr. DeFore,) of infidelity, so when he cancels yet another of their planned anniversary vacations, which is an ocean cruise to Rio De Janeiro, Mrs. Kent tests his fidelity by pretending to go on the cruise to Rio anyway, and actually sends in her place, and under her name, Georgia Garrett (Doris,) whom she met in a travel agency. 

Georgia Garrett, you see, is a poorly paid nightclub singer, and has always wanted to travel but could never financially pull it off, (sound familiar anyone?)  Meanwhile, while the husband believes his wife is away, the Mrs.spy's on him to see what he really does behind her back!

When the husband, sees his wife is all too willing, and eager, to take a trip, alone, he hires Peter Virgil, (Jack Carson,) a private detective, to follow and report on her.  Trust works two ways ladies and gentlemen, and what's good for the goose, is always good for the gander, (it's even better for us, the audience, who get to watch all this suspicion and silliness!)

Okay, so Peter joins the cruise and, as part of his job, becomes acquainted with Georgia.  Georgia, following the instructions of the real Elvira, keeps up the ruse by pretending to be Elvira to everyone, including Peter.

Now to add even more conflict and confusion, Georgia and Peter (naturally) are attracted to each other, and gradually fall in love, after all, this movie is called "Romance on the High Seas."   What happens?, can you guess?, probably, but it is more fun for you to watch this wonderful movie.

On all levels, except for the star billing, the film works, and it is a delightful screwball comedy of the 30s.  Films back then were made to entertain, and they did, then came message films and Hollywood lost their way because, ideology was it's first requirement.   Sadly, films have become political propaganda today, and have lost the fun, and the reason for attending them.

The sets are gorgeous, so are the clothes and accessories on the ladies. There are many elaborate crowd scenes, and it's obvious that Warners spared no expense on the budget for this one which wasn't a bad way to introduce Doris Day to audiences.

Great fun, lovely songs, funny, camp, snappy dialogue, and highly recommended.   I have a feeling this will become one of your favourite Doris Day movie, like it now is mine!

                                                            UPCOMING MOVIES FOR REVIEW:

"Strangers on a Train." I don't know if I want to see this movie because I enjoy mysteries of if it's because I like train travel, regardless, I'll be travelling on TCM, first class of course.



"Elmer Gantry" Both Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones received academy award nominations for their work here. I want to see if they deserved them, you know how the Academy can be.

"Adam Had Four Sons." This movie stars Ingrid Bergman and Susan Hayward, two of my favourites, and that is reason enough for me to watch this movie. But I bet I end up liking this movie for all sorts of reasons, and not just because of Miss Bergman and Miss Hayward.

"Blow Dry." For no other reason that when I saw the title of this movie in the television guide, it intrigued me. 

"The Band Wagon." This film showcases the talents of Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, and they both have been described as being brilliant in this movie, after I watch it on TCM, I'll decide.

"Thief." This film stars James Caan and is reported to be one of Mr. Caan's personal favourites. Well, now it is time for us to decide if we want this movie to make our favourites list.

"An American in Paris."  I love musicals, and this one gets great reviews from practically everyone, we'll see what I think very soon.

FILMS COMING SOON:    Exodus, The Sand Pebbles, The Maltese Falcon! Giant!  I really can't wait to see these movies, yeah folks, I'm excited!











1 comment:

  1. I can't comment specifically on the movie because I haven't seen this one, but I must say I enoy reading your reviews. They always make me want to see the movie and give a context for it that makes it more enjoyable and more accessable. So thanks for writing and keep it up. Just remembet that you have to stay healthy so rest when you have to and don't overdo it. I know all that background on the movies is indicative of a lot of research and i know that takes time and hard work.

    ReplyDelete